Wednesday 21 March 2012

Pick Me Up

Tonight is the opening of Pick Me Up at Somerset House in London. I remember last years opening night being pretty full on busy so I expect tonight to be the same.  On my 'wall' I've got a mix of commissioned illustrations, some older one off drawings, and some new work which was only completed last week.

For the new work I've been working from the many photos, and notes taken whilst I was away in Asia or Christmas. I've selling a couple of prints and some original drawings. One of the prints (below) is of a few hand drawn signs and the other is a sort of catalogue of some smelly street dogs. I was trying pretty hard recently not to go too dog heavy with my drawings but as I encountered them pretty much everywhere whilst travelling it was inevitable that i'd end up drawing them.

I've also started working on a series of portraits looking at many of the places and people whom we met and encountered.

The series at the moment is a bit rigid and i'd like to work on this a lot more in my sketchbook keeping the drawings much looser. Eventually I'd hope to produce a large body of work which can function as a guide or journal with drawn maps and plenty of annotations. I recently acquired a great book called South-East-Asia Graphic Guide by Mark Elliott which has some great drawn schematic maps (picture below). This is a fascinating book and really inspirational for the kind of visual essay work that i'd like to explore.
Everything at Pick Me Up is on sale and i'm also selling many of the same prints on my website.

No comments: